Enviornmental policy - Leave no trace
The owners of Nautopp Seakayaking Sweden and our staff want to protect nature and keep impact low. When we're travelling through nature on private trips as well as with customers we always keep the "no trace" policy in mind and pass the knowlegde on to our participants. This policy also fit into and respects the Swedish right of public access. To us, keeping nature as it always has been is the whole foundation to our business. "Leave no trace" has become a lifestyle for us more than a set of rules!
Leave No Trace also helps you to increase your safety level and add a good group atmosphere to the trip. According to us the Leave No Trace policy includes this.
* Plan ahead and prepare. Know the regulations and special concerns for the area you'll visit. (That will also include low/high tides, exposed passages and more) Go through your equipment and gear and make sure it is in good condition and will hold in bad weather conditions. Look at maps and plan your route - also keep a plan B in mind if anything should go wrong. Travel in small groups which will make a smaller impact on nature and be positive to the group atmosphere. Split bigger groups into smaller ones. Try to visit the area before and after high season. Repack food to minimize waste. Use a map and compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, and to know exactly where you are in a emergency. Leave no trace!
* Travel and camp on durable surfaces. Camp on existing campsites and walk on existing trails. Examples of durable surfaces are: Gravel, snow, dry gras, rocks. Leave the campsite in a condition so that the next person will find it unique and experience the feeling of being the first to visit. Nobody should see that someone has been there before.
* Dispose of waste properly. Everything you carry with you into nature you carry home as well. Leave no spilled food or other things that will reveal that you have been there. Never burn waste on the campfire. Don't wash yourself or do the dishes directly in the water - somebody is maybe filling his waterbottle further down the stream. Use only a little amount of biodegradable soap. All solid human waste must be deposited into catholes or even better use the toilettes on the islands. Dig deep and dont leave hygiene or sanitary products- carry them home with you.
* Leave what you find. Preserve the past. Examine but do not touch. Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them
* Minimize campfire impacts. Look after information on fire restrictions. Do not make a campfire on rocks and if possible use the establised fire rings. Use only branches that you find on the ground -do not break off tree branches. Make sure the campfire is properly put out!
* Respect wildlife. Observe wildlife but from a distance that does not disturb. Do not follow animals or birds even when you are paddling a kayak. Seakayaks glide silently forward - do not surprise animals or birds. Keep the group together when passing a flock of birds on the sea - so they know where you are going. Respect bird and seal restrictions - keep a good distance at least 100 meters. Do never feed animals and store your food and trash securely. During sensitve times as during mating season, winter and while animals are raising babies- be extra careful!
* Be considerate of other visitors. Make sure that other people return with a nice and peaceful experience. Let nature sounds prevail - keep you voice down. Respect if other people want to be left alone - if they are having a rest or are camping. Enjoy nature with an open mind towards nature and other people. Always help other people in an emergency.
Nautopp always works towards sustainable tourism. The whole business is founded on a sustainable mindset and trips are as environmentally friendly as possible. We care about the nature we explore and treat it with respect. We support the local economy by working with local restaurants who provide the food for our trips and we also use local guides but safety and well educated guides and instructors are still our first priority. All garbage is seperated at source and we try to use a many fair trade products we can on our trips.
Please find time to read trough what this is all about, thank you! (Follow link)